Recent News from Oakhill See All News
Oakhill Panthers - Track & Field Results Recap (Saturday, April 10, 2021)
4th - 6th Grade PLKC Meet #1
Postponed due to weather (Make-up date has not been announced)
7th/8th Grade Girls - Parochial League Meet #1 - Top 10 Finishers:
- 100 Meter Dash
- Alyssa Hiegert (7th Place)
- Alyssa Hiegert (7th Place)
- Long Jump
- Alyssa Hiegert (3rd Place)
- Alyssa Hiegert (3rd Place)
- Shot Put
- Rory Freyermuth (9th Place)
7th/8th Grade Boys - Parochial League Meet #1 - Top 10 Finishers:
- 100 Meter Dash
- Gray Carter (3rd Place)
- Gray Carter (3rd Place)
- 800 Meter Run
- Kai Somasegaran (10th Place)
- Kai Somasegaran (10th Place)
- 1600 Meter Run
- Kai Somasegaran (7th Place)
- Kai Somasegaran (7th Place)
- 4 x 100 Meter Relay (1st Place)
- Riordan Nash (1st Place)
- Aaron Ferrara (1st Place)
- Ben Yager (1st Place)
- Gray Carter (1st Place)
- Long Jump
- Aaron Ferrara (3rd Place)
- Riordan Nash (8th Place)
Upcoming Oakhill Panthers Track & Field Schedule
Saturday, April 17th @ Bishop Miege High School
4th - 6th Grade (9:00am - 1:00pm)
7th/8th Grade (4:30pm - 8:30pm)
Great job Panthers!!!
March Lifeskill Awards
Each month, we choose students from Kindergarten-8th grade to receive the Lifeskills award. Our students can be awarded any of the Lifeskills at any point during the year, including: resilience, compassion, service to others, responsibility, effort and initiative, trustworthiness, and respect. We are so proud of each one of them!
Help us celebrate our March Lifeskill Award Recipients!
First and foremost, thank YOU for making our Black and Teal Ball - "The Show Must Go On" Auction a huge success! We were excited to offer this hybrid experience; attendees at Hotel Kansas City enjoying an evening together, and many attendees at home watch parties or simply enjoying the auction with their family. Your generosity helped us achieve our goals...and, then some! We profited approximately $180,000.00 this year with $60,000 of that going directly towards Live Streaming and related stage and sound needs. Thank you!
Spring is here! The first day of Spring is symbolic...a new beginning...a time of refreshing change. I hope you were able to enjoy time with family and friends during Spring Break!
I am not going to write about the happenings and challenges of one year ago; instead I am going to share my excitement for what is to come in April and May! Things are definitely looking up; our entire community is ready to embrace all that 4th quarter has to offer. We will continue to follow COVID related protocol where and when needed this Spring; working hard to make sure our community remains safe and comfortable.
Here are a few upcoming highlights:
- Track & Field Season - Our Spring sports season has begun! Get ready for Saturday (all day) track meets starting on April 10th at Bishop LeBlond in St. Joseph.
- 5th Grade Trip - On April 1st our 5th grade students are heading to the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, KS for an overnight stay! What a fun and exciting way to kick off the quarter! We have a great group of chaperones leading the way.
- Musicals - We have more grade level musicals heading your way in April; our music teachers will be in touch with details regarding spectators.
- 6th Grade Trip - On April 18th, our 6th grade students will take a Charter Bus to Horseshoe Canyon near Jasper, Arkansas for a two night trip; they will rock climb, zip line, and participate in team building activities at the ranch.
- Earth Day - The entire student body will enjoy Earth Day activities on April 22nd!
- Acorn Day - Our Kindergarten and 8th Grade Students will come together on Friday, April 23rd for our traditional Acorn Day Ceremony where they will participate in a ceremonial planting ceremony. This is a great way to beautify areas of the campus for our entire community. Thank you, in advance, for participating.
- PTO Dances - Our Mother/Son dance/outing will be on Friday, April 23rd and our Father/Daughter dance/outing will be on Saturday, April 24th. Our parents always look forward to this special occasion!
- ERB testing - Our standardized testing will occur the week of April 26th for grades 3-8. Please avoid unnecessary absences, if possible, that particular week.
- 7th and 8th Grade Trip - On May 3rd (bright and early), our 7th and 8th graders will head to the Florida Keys for a 5 day, 4 night adventure. They will snorkel, kayak, experience the Everglades, and even visit Dry Tortugas National Park during their visit. There is no better way to enjoy the Keys than with your friends! Unforgettable!
- Book Fair - The Spring Book Fair will be virtual starting on May 3rd.
- Parents' Teas - We look forward to this tradition; be sure and check the online calendar for exact dates/times and information. We enjoy honoring YOU...the parents!
- Art Fair - This year, we will be having an Art Fair on Friday, May 14th from 3:30-5:30 pm - outdoors! Mark your calendars to see your child's art displayed!
- Field Day - This may be the students' favorite day of the year! On Thursday, May 20th our Middle School students will participate in the Middle School Battle. And, on Friday, May 21st the entire school will have fun during our field day festivities.
- 8th Grade Graduation - The ceremony will be at 6:30 pm on Thursday, May 27th - outdoors!!! We loved the outdoor ceremony so much last year that we are planning an outdoor ceremony this year! Cross our fingers for a beautiful night!
- Kindergarten Graduation - Our Kindergarten Graduation ceremony will be held on the last day of school. Final details are being created, and we will share the exact time and place!
- Oakhill Fully Charged Summer Camp - All of us are looking forward to a fun-filled summer!
Be sure and check the calendar each week. We will do our best to keep you apprised of safety protocols and more! Our students deserve a memorable Spring... and, we plan to deliver.
Spring Panthers on the Prowl is Here!
We are excited to announce our next Panthers on the Prowl offerings! These classes will begin in a few weeks. Below will be the list of classes along with a registration button for you to sign up.
Pretoddler & Toddler
- Obstacle Course: April 13th & 20th: 3:40-4:15
- Soccer: April 27th & May 4th: 3:40-4:15
Pre-School & Pre-K
- Obstacle Course: April 14th & 21st: 3:40-4:15
- Soccer: April 28th & May 5th: 3:40-4:15
- Nerf Battle- April 13th & 15th, 3:20-4:00
- Mini Field Day- April 20th & 22nd, 3:20-4:00
- Carnival- April 27th & 29th, 3:20-4:00
- 1 Last Party- May 4th & 6th, 3:20-4:00
Info on Missed Webinars
If you missed the Parents Webinar Series, recordings are available online until 5/31/21.
The Importance of Executive Function:
Helping Them Show What They Know
Steven Guy & William Benninger, Psychologists
Speaking to Children About Race
Y. Joy Harris-Smith, Educator & Author
Parenting in a Pandemic
Michael G. Thompson, Psychologist, Author & School Consultant
Managing Anxiety, Stress & Parenting
Lisa Damour, Psychologist & Author
To access these recordings, please contact Michelle McDaniel for log in information. Please do not share access information once you receive it. This information is only to be distributed to the Oakhill parent, staff, and board community.
What is Oakhill Fully Charged?
We are a camp that aims to create an environment that feels like a vacation every day. Join us and embark on the journey of what a summer should be. We offer everything from field trips to Rowdy Ribbits to camp-wide water balloon fights. Oakhill Fully Charged is a place that will create lasting memories between campers and counselors. We continually re-imagine ways to fill your summer with fun and excitement. Oakhill cannot wait to show you how we do summer!
Oakhill Fully Charged groups campers with friends in their age range to maximize how much age-appropriate fun can be had in one day! Our 1st through 8th-grade campers leave campus at least once a week to participate in a wide range of activities from zip-lining to trampoline parks. We plan to go places camps have never gone before. You never know, someplace on your field trip bucket list may be our next destination!
Our Toddler-Kindergarten campers have field trips that come to camp like Kona Ice or the Zoo! They also have pool days every Friday and participate in a variety of themed activities throughout the week. This is a place where every day will be a new adventure!
When is Oakhill Fully Charged?
June 7th-August 6th
Our camp is open from 8:30-3:30 with the option to sign up for Kids' Club from 7:30-5:00 pm.
Who can come to camp?
We are excited to be open for Oakhill and non-Oakhill campers! If you have a friend or a sibling who does not come to school they are more than welcome this summer!
How much does camp cost?
- All-Inclusive: $255 per week (Includes Kids' Club 7:30-5:00pm)
- Full Week: $225 per week (8:30-3:30)
- Daily Drop-In: $60 per day
- Kids' Club Drop-In: $10 per day
- Lunch $5 per day
- Swimming lessons and tutoring will be available as well
What does our summer camp have to offer?
- Low camper to staff ratio
- Morning and afternoon Kids' Club
- Camp open for anyone 2 years old through 8th grade
- The Camp Store
- The best field trips ever
Registration is now open, please use the link below to sign up for the Best Summer Ever!
We will see you on June 7th!
Questions? Please contact Taylor Clevenger
Oakhill Regional Spelling Bee Champion
Congratulations to Oakhill middle school student, Drew Clawson (8th Grade) on becoming the Jackson-Clay County Scripps Spelling Bee Champion over Spring Break! Drew will compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee via initial virtual rounds. If Drew becomes a finalist, he will travel to Orlando for the national bee completion! Everyone at ODS is proud of Drew's accomplishment. Help us cheer him on as he advances.
Acorn Day Celebration 2021
Acorn Day is a day we celebrate the natural spaces that surround our facilities. Each year we select an area of our campus to enhance and renew while also celebrating our students who are transitioning to new phases in their educational journey.
In 2019, in celebration of Acorn Day, we installed a butterfly garden. Since then, we received a $4,700 grant from Mid-America Regional Council to double the size of that garden, install a trail around it and develop additional learning stations.
Now, in 2021, we want to help make the area even more accessible for all students and teachers.
With your support, we will install an electronic gate that opens to the walking trail. Also, we will purchase two shade structures so that students can write, discuss, and think for longer periods of time. Finally, this year's 8th grade and Kindergarten students, who we celebrate during our annual Acorn Day Celebration, will add additional wildflowers to the butterfly garden.
4th - 8th Grade - Oakhill Panthers Track @ Field begins Monday, March 8!
Spring is right around the corner and the weather will be warming up soon, just in time for your Oakhill Panthers to begin track & field practices.
We would love to see many of our 4th - 8th grade students out on the track or trying a field event this spring. On the track & field team there is an event for everyone; running events, jumping events, and throwing events. Come on out and try the high/long jump if you're into jumping, a relay/sprint if you're into running, or the softball throw/shot put/discus if you're into throwing. There are many field and running events to choose from, the coaches will help you find what is best for you!! Come on out and join us for some fun on the track this spring with Coach Ferris and Coach Gabrielson.
Hope to see you on the track March 8th!!!
Online Registration Information:
- Registration is underway for the 2021 track & field season!! Register online today by clicking the link below.
- Please be sure to get registered to ensure a track & field t-shirt is ordered for your child this season. Your registration will provide us the t-shirt size for your child. Uniforms will be ordered following the first week of practice.
First Practice: Monday, March 8 @ 5:30pm - 7:00pm (please note, practice will end @ 7pm on March 8th and March 10th due to daylight)
Practice Days: Monday/Wednesday
Practice Time: 5:30pm - 7:15pm
Practice Location: Staley High School (Auxiliary Track) - located across from the baseball field, and right up the hill from the tennis courts at Staley High School.
Kyle Gabrielson: Please join me in welcoming our newest member of the Oakhill Panthers track & field coaching staff for this spring; Head Coach Kyle Gabrielson. Kyle comes to us from Liberty, MO where he grew up and attended Liberty High School. While attending Liberty High School Kyle was a member of their well known cross country program. It was throughout his high school years with some great coaches that Kyle developed his love for running.
After high school Kyle moved on and went off to college where he attended William Woods University in Fulton, MO. While at Williams Woods University Kyle received his undergraduate degree in Sports Medicine, and his graduate degree in Healthcare Administration. Following his time at William Woods, Kyle went on to become a middle school track & field coach at Fulton Middle School in Fulton, Missouri. For three years Kyle was the head coach of a team that had over 100 runners participating each season. Kyle really enjoyed his experience coaching middle school track & field in Fulton. However, three years into his coaching tenure at Fulton Middle School he got a full-time job in Kansas City, MO. and moved. Following his move to Kansas City for a job outside of education/coaching Kyle had always hoped to find a school where he could coach track/cross country while not being a teacher at the school. Fast forward a few years and along came Oakhill Day School.
Kyle comes to Oakhill with a great reference from one of our very own Lower School teachers; Lisa Manley. Lisa has known Kyle for many years and had nothing but great things to say about him. Kyle is very grateful for this opportunity, and could not be more excited for the chance to get back on the track this spring and coach. I am very excited to have Kyle here at Oakhill this spring, his passion and enthusiasm for track & field will be a positive influence on the students here at Oakhill.
George Ferris: Please join me in welcoming Coach Ferris to the track & field coaching staff for the 2021 season. George is excited for this new opportunity and looking forward to getting out on the track and having fun with the kids. This will be Coach Ferris first year coaching track and field here at Oakhill, he will assist Coach Gabrielson at all practices and meets.
Updated Sport Physical: Sport physicals are valid for one year from the date they were completed. Each participant must have an updated sport physical on file here at Oakhill to practice. Please check to make sure the current one your child has does not expire mid-season.
Updated Covid-19 Mask Policy (Spring 2021): Masks will not be required to be worn by the student-athletes while practicing outdoors. We ask that all runners bring their mask with them to practice. When the team meets as a large group and cannot space out we would ask that the kids put their mask on.
Parent Zoom Meeting: Coach Gabrielson/Ferris are planning to have a Zoom parent meeting to go over the track & field informational packet. At that time both coaches will introduce themselves, go over expectations for the season, and will answer any questions you may have. Information regarding the Zoom link, date, and time will be sent out as soon as this is scheduled.
Parochial League - KC: The Oakhill Day School track & field team participates in the Parochial League of Kansas City. Meets will be held on Saturdays, beginning with the first meet on Saturday, April 10th. Below are the dates/times of the league meets. Please note, the 4th - 6th runners will compete in the mornings, with the 7th/8th competing in the afternoon. Once the league posts the date of the 7th/8th MOKAN Invitational I will get that added as well.
- PLKC Website - Link Below
PLKC Meet Dates/Times (Locations for each meet will be posted when released by the league)
- Saturday, April 10th @ TBA
- Saturday, April 17th @ TBA
- Saturday, April 24th @ TBA
- Saturday, May 1st - City Championship Meet @ TBA
- 4th - 6th Grade Division Track Meets
- The 4th - 6th grade participants will have their meets on Saturday mornings (8am - 12pm)
- 7th/8th Grade Division Track Meets
- The 7th/8th grade participants will have their meets on Saturday afternoons (1pm - 5pm)
Look forward to a great season!!!
Kellen Smith (Athletic Director)
Why choose an independent private education?
By choosing an independent private education, you have the opportunity to choose a school whose philosophy, values, and teaching style fit your child. Independent private schools can also offer your family small class sizes, excellent teachers, and high academic standards.
Oakhill Day School is a place where children discover themselves as learners in a community where they feel valued and known. We invite you to learn more about the active learning that happens here!