Recent News from Oakhill See All News
Spring, 2020 - Track & Field Information (4th - 8th)
First Week of Practice:
- Monday, March 2nd (4pm - 5:15pm) @ Oakhill
- Wednesday, March 4th (4pm - 5:15pm) @ Oakhill
- Thursday, March 5th (4pm - 5:15pm) @ Oakhill
Practice Days/Times: Monday/Wednesday/Thursday
Practice Locations: Staley High School Auxiliary Track/Oakhill Day School
- Monday/Wednesday - Practice will be at Staley High School beginning Monday, March 23rd (5:30pm - 7pm)
- Thursday - All Thursday practices will be at Oakhill (4:00pm - 5:00pm). You may pick your child up at the Main Building at the conclusion of the Thursday practice, they will not be returning to the South Building.
- Staley High Auxiliary Track: The Staley auxiliary track is located on the backside of Staley High School, the auxiliary track sets up behind the tennis courts. Once you see the tennis courts you are very close.
Track & Field Meets:
- The track and field team participates in the Parochial League of Kansas City. The PLKC host 4 meets held on Saturdays throughout the season, while hosting an additional meet for the 7th/8th division on a weeknight.
- PLKC Meet Schedule (4th - 6th Division): The 4th -6th grade division will run on Saturday mornings. Their meets run from 8am - 12pm.
- PLKC Meet Schedule (7th/8th Division): The 7th/8th grade division will run on Saturday afternoons. These meets run from 12pm - 4pm.
- 7th/8th Only Meet: The 7th/8th division will also run in the PLKC MO/KAN meet that is held on a weeknight.
- Barstow Meet: The track & field team will also participate in the Barstow track & field meet which is held on a weeknight during the season.
- Once the PLKC releases the schedule for the season those dates will be added to the athletic calendar. Meets typically begin around the first weekend of April.
- Jake Kleyh (4th Year) - This will be Coach Kleyhs 4th season as a coach of the Oakhill Track and Field Program. Coach Kleyh will work with all the track and field athletes, with his focus being on the field events daily at practice.
- Jaclynn Sloan (1st Year) - Coach Sloan will be entering her 1st season as a coach of the Oakhill Day School Track & Field Program. Coach Sloan is currently a long term sub here at Oakhill for the 5th - 8th grade PE classes. She also assists Coach Ziggy with some other lower school/early childhood PE classes. Coach Sloan is excited to get started on this new endeavor. Jaclynn brings with her a background in track & field. She was a runner throughout high school and ran in college a well. Coach Sloan will work with all the athletes, with her focus being on the runners. She is very excited to get started working with the team and we are excited to have her! Please take a minute if you have one at practice some evening to introduce yourself, coach would love to meet you!
Athletic Calendar: The full practice schedule for the season can be found via the athletic calendar on the Oakhill website. Be sure to sign up for athletic calendar alerts so that you will be notified immediately of any changes to the track and field schedule.
Week 1 of Practice (Prior to Spring Break) - Practice Location/Time:
- The first week of practice will be held at Oakhill Day School, the team will begin practicing at Staley High School following spring break on Monday, March 23rd.
Track & Field Online Registration
- Please go online and register your child to participate prior to the 1st practice via the online registration system. Registration will ensure your child receives a track & field t-shirt for the season. Please click the link below to register online today!!!
Looking forward to a great spring!!
Give Back ALL YEAR with Hy-Vee!
The Giving Tag is now a year long fundraising opportunity!
With the Giving Tag, customers can support the community they call home by directing their $1 donation generated from the purchase of a $2.50 red "My Heart" Reusable Bag to the non-profit of their choice.
Customers can simply follow the instructions on the back of the Giving Tag to select the non-profit they would like to support... like Oakhill Day School!
HOW IT WORKS
Upon purchasing the red "My Heart" Reusable Bag with the Giving Tag at any Hy-Vee, customers are directed to:
1. Visit myHy-Veecause.com within 7 days of their purchase.
2. Remove the scratch-off layer on the Giving Tag to reveal the unique code.
3. Submit their code and select the non-profit they would like to receive a $1 donation - now including you!
If the donation is not directed within 7 days of purchase, the donation will be sent to the Hy-Vee Reusable Bag Program beneficiary - the monthly featured non-profit selected by store leadership at the store where you purchased the bag.
We want YOU on the PTO Executive Committee!
The Oakhill Day School Parent/Teacher Organization (PTO) is currently seeking nominations for the 2020-2021 school year Executive Committee positions. Nominations are due for PTO Nominating Committee review by Monday, March 16.
Our Oakhill PTO was created to aid our students by providing support for their educational and recreational needs. We also strive to provide a forum for open communication among parents, teachers, administrators, and the Board of Trustees. We aim to promote positive school and community relationships that will enhance our children's environment through our PTO programs and events.
The PTO Executive Committee members are expected to attend a monthly meeting usually held on the 2nd Monday of the month during the school year. Liaison volunteers are not expected to attend every PTO Executive Committee meeting. Meeting times are subject to change based on availability of committee members.
Below is a list of our open positions:
- Vice President*
- Room Parent Liaison
- Early Childhood Division Liaison
- Lower School Division Liaison
- Intermediate Division Liaison
- Middle School Division Liaison
* these positions are for a 2-year term, all others are 1-year.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart" ~Elizabeth Andrew
Message from the Development Director
Greeting from the Development Office! It's hard to believe that Christmas is in the rearview mirror and Spring is right around the corner!
It's been a fantastic 3 months here at Oakhill Day School! I've been getting to know several of you and I'm inspired by this warm, generous community. It's been really fun to watch your children learn and grow! They are polite, creative, and funny.
There is so much to talk about and share with you! Following are exciting upcoming events that you won't want to miss. Please continue to check the Oakhill website for frequent updates and don't hesitate to stop in the Development office to visit me. I am ready to talk Titan Fund, Annual Fund, Events, and volunteerism at any time!
Thank you for your support and generosity. This school is so special because of all of you. It is truly a privilege to be here!
What's Going on in Techbrary?
In a crazy busy week full of Super Bowl wins and Red Snow Days, our dynamic duo of Techbrarians led an awesome PTO Coffee outlining all of the amazing things happening with tech and library at Oakhill!
Many of you have heard the word "Techbrary" thrown around, but are probably wondering why not have technology and library? The fact of the matter is that these days, the two really go hand and hand. The mission of the Oakhill Techbrary spaces is to provide spaces and resources for the development of future ready learners. These learners embody innovative thinking, competent research and technology skills, and a lifelong love of reading and learning. Oakhill's Techbrary curriculum was created around the 4-C's of 21st century learning, critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity.
Our hopes are that students find the Techbrary to be:
- A learning commons that fosters CREATIVITY and CRITICAL THINKING skills while utilizing our fully functioning media center with access to digital resources, printed resources and technology equipment.
- A flexible space that encourages exploration, COMMUNICATION, and COLLABORATION between students, teachers and the Oakhill community.
- A welcoming, inclusive space where teachers can bring their classes for COLLABORATIVE project work throughout the day.
As Techbrarians, our teachers hope to:
- Teach students how to find reliable printed and online resources.
- Develop digital age learners who are competent researchers.
- Collaborate with teachers to find engaging 21st century resources to support their curriculum.
- Help students to develop a love of books, to think outside the box and work togethers.
The Oakhill Techbrary is constantly evolving to meet the ever-changing needs of students. The end goal is to have students who are responsible, innovative, and equipped with technology competencies that will help them navigate our oh so technological world.
Have You Secured Your Spot Yet?
February. Can you believe that we are already well into 3rd quarter of an amazing school year! Your Oakhill Admissions Office is at the start of confirming enrollment for the next school year!
Last month we sent re-enrollment paperwork to current students, Pretoddler through Kindergarten, and the Re-enrollment Checklist to 1st Grade and up. Over 200 students have confirmed that they are returning for the upcoming school year!
If you have not yet done so, please complete the form or checklist, depending on the enrolling grade for your student.
Pretoddler - Prekindergarten Families (Incoming Toddler-Kindergarteners)
Timely re-enrollment is imperative for the school's planning process and for our Early Childhood Division. Your enrollment decision helps determine staffing needs for the 2020-2021 school year. Oakhill uses a traditional enrollment contract for all Early Childhood through Kindergarten classes. As family needs change in a child's early years of schooling, parents may need to adjust the number of school days each year for the child and a traditional enrollment or "annual" enrollment helps early childhood parents make those adjustments. We are anticipating full day parts and classes for many of our Early Childhood programs.
Kindergarten Families (Incoming 1st Graders)
Timely re-enrollment is imperative for the school's planning process. Students currently in Kindergarten complete a new continuous enrollment agreement this year.
1st-7th Grade Families (Incoming 2nd-8th Graders)
All families who have enrolled, or have not notified the Admissions Office otherwise, will see a charge for the deposit and fees, for the 2020-2021 school year, on their SMART Tuition bill. We would still love you to complete the checklist so that we have the correct t-shirt size for your student(s) and the desired payment plan if you haven't already been able to do so.
If you are a current family who wants to re-tour for any grade, please let me know! We would love to take you around again to help you re-discover what initially drew you to Oakhill, or to show you things that have changed throughout the campus during your time with us.
Your decision to enroll and re-enroll at Oakhill is essential to our growth, and we want to do everything we can to help you make a confident decision!
My door is always open - please stop by anytime!
We are Playmakers!
My first memory of being a Kansas City Chiefs fan was when I was in first grade. My dad gave me a puffy, Chiefs coat; I remember it had snaps instead of a zipper. I loved the Chiefs (and, Elvis)! I played football at recess, watched (or listened) to football on the weekends, and we always went to a Friday night football game! I remember my first time at Arrowhead; it was so hot, and our seats were so high in the upper deck. I remember a man fainting near us from the excessive heat, and that is all I could think about - I was going to faint!
I continually cheered on the Chiefs, and then came the Derrick Thomas and Neal Smith era. Our defense was awesome! I went to the games regardless of the weather. I met them at the airport after the big playoff wins or losses. Derrick Thomas even handed me a rose! I have a picture to prove it! The players would sign my STARTER jacket as they headed to their cars. I vowed not to wash that jacket until we won a Super Bowl.
When I met Kevin, my husband, he knew he had to become a Chiefs fan. On his birthday one year, we were at the stadium during a torrential flood. He hasn't let me forget that one. Then came children. Arrowhead wasn't the best venue for very small children every weekend, so I gave up my season tickets and watched them faithfully every Sunday on TV.
When Brady was three, he played PeeWee football, and now I had two football outlets...the Chiefs and Brady. Brady played football for the next 17 years... for the Johnson County Football Club Mustangs, the Eagles, the Northland Raiders, The Rockhurst Hawklets, and finally his career ended as an SMU Mustang. I always told him I really wanted him to play for the Chiefs (wink, wink)!
I have always believed in the Chiefs even when they were 2-14. But, I would only buy a player's jersey if I thought they would last. I have a Tony Gonzalez jersey, a Derrick Thomas jersey, and a Patrick Mahomes jersey. When we drafted Mahomes, my dad said he is a keeper. I lost my dad last fall in the middle of an awesome season. I would spend my time talking to him in the hospital about the Chiefs. We enjoyed those conversations.
And, after all of these years of cheering on the Chiefs, we finally did it... we won the AFC championship game, we went to the Super Bowl, and we won it! I took Brady to the Super Bowl... he is a die hard fan like me! I promised myself that if and when we made it to the Super Bowl, I would be there. What an experience! Everyone was so happy... win or lose, we were all going to be happy, but to win was pure elation. I knew they were going to win... I never gave up!
As I told the faculty a week ago Oakhill is full of playmakers. We have raw talent throughout the building. We are a family; a true team. We know what plays to call to help each and every student find success. And, thank you for choosing Oakhill for another "season". As any team will, Oakhill has seen its ups and downs this past year; the wins and losses throughout the year, and good and bad calls. But, one thing you can always count on from this Oakhill team is 100% passion and dedication. We care about what we do and it shows.
Finally, our Oakhill Super Bowl of events is coming up this month; our Annual Auction! This event is important to Oakhill - it builds community, allows all of us to have fun together, and it typically raises approximately $150,000.00 for our annual budget. I hope to see everyone there!
Savor the winning season. Reflect on the greatness at Oakhill. Thank you for believing in us... and, I promise we will continue to be champions for your children.
Geography Bee 2020
Oakhill is proud to offer the National Geographic Geography Bee to its 4th through 8th graders. Classroom bees were held, and two winners from each grade level qualified to compete in the all-school geography bee.
Those students are:
4th grade: Quynh Nguyen & Truman Gregg
5th grade: Sydney Culbertson & Sam Ferrara
6th grade: Madeleine Clark & Rory Freyermuth
7th grade: Gray Carter & Riordan Nash
8th grade: Nura Henok & Luke Freyermuth
On Thursday, January 30, these students competed in the South Building Commons to see who would become the Geo Bee Champion for Oakhill Day School.
It is with honor to congratulate all of our finalists and especially Sydney Culbertson on her Championship Geography Bee win!
On Cherry Street
Recent Alumni Sightings on Oakhill's Campus!
We love seeing our Oakhill Alumni come back to support their siblings and friends on the Oakhill stage!
From left: Graham Carter ('18), Lauren Holloway ('19), Sam Brown ('19), Ava Kirkpatrick ('19), Ryan Dodson ('19), and Georgia Carter ('19).
From left: Delaney Clawson ('16), Sophia Martin ('18), Preston Bigler ('18), Jessica Eisler ('18), Julia Holmes ('19), Mary-Kathryn Wert ('19), Owen Riddle ('18), Grace Clark ('19), Nicole Kuehn ('16), and Yasmine Henok ('18)
Why choose an independent private education?
By choosing an independent private education, you have the opportunity to choose a school whose philosophy, values, and teaching style fit your child. Independent private schools can also offer your family small class sizes, excellent teachers, and high academic standards.
Oakhill Day School is a place where children discover themselves as learners in a community where they feel valued and known. We invite you to learn more about the active learning that happens here!