How are you doing? Does "Jack" love school?
Simple questions like these would ideally be answered with a simple "good" or "amazing," but during the first few weeks of school, a new (and sometimes seasoned) Oakhill family might say, "I am so overwhelmed and don't have a clue of what is going on."
This year we welcomed over 60 new students to Oakhill and this number continues to grow daily. As a family who has chosen private education, you are also probably highly involved in the daily occurrences of your child's schooling and want to do everything "right."
The HUB, daily sheets in early childhood, homework, calendar, afterschool, lunch, field trips, musicals, PTO events, the golf tournament, the 5K, volleyball, cross country... that never ending morning checklist to make sure you have it all done. As parents, many of us feel like we can't keep up and something always gets overlooked or we feel less than, because we are that one parent who forgot to get on Magnus to update your health and emergency forms (sitting here putting hands over my face in embarrassment). You are not alone!
I hope that each parent knows that we have all been there and can relate to what you are going through. My best advice, is to take just one task, one day, and one week at a time. Breathe!
Here are some tips to make each day a little easier and to stay informed:
- Read the emails and newsletters
- Unpack your child's backpack each night and read the notes sent home or check their planners
- Pick one or two days a week to check the HUB and your teacher's page, sign up for alerts, middle school parents check you student's gradebook!
- Keep a family calendar
- Prioritize your weekly tasks, don't go more than a week out
- If your student has a technological device, have them turn it off at a desired time each night and have family time (maybe even have them check it in with you)
- ASK questions!
- Get into a good routine each day, but make time to just be a family and relax!
If you need a refresher on how and where to look for things or general policies and procedures, the Admissions Office is hosting New Family Orientations each month. They will be the first Tuesday of the month at 8:15 AM and 3:00 PM. Any family, new or seasoned, is invited to attend one of these events. They are offered September through January for our families.