In a Nutshell Blog
Teacher Toolkit | 5 Things Mrs. Bertoldie Can't Teach Without
Ann Bertoldie might be new to Oakhill, but she is far from a novice educator. Being a veteran teacher of 32 years, Mrs. Bertoldie has seen students grow from child to adult sharing her love for literature.
We caught up with Mrs. Bertoldie during her planning period and asked her to share the top 5 items that she has in her teacher toolkit at all times… here we go!
1. Coffee – Coffee is the fuel that keeps me going throughout the day. The students are quick to ask if I have had my coffee yet on days when I seem a bit sluggish!
2. Hand Sanitizer – There are times of the year when the classroom is full of germs! For that reason, I always have hand sanitizer with me to keep me healthy.
3. My Favorite Pen – I have a favorite pen that I carry with me on my lanyard at all times. I know I could replace it if I ever lost it, but I am going to hang on to this one for as long as I can!
4. Sticky Notes – As a new teacher 32 years ago, my sticky notes were little scraps of paper with lists of all types written on them. I taped those scrap paper notes to every surface of my classroom. My need for notes taped everywhere… my computer, my desk, in books... that has not changed. For me to remember, I have to write it down. I will say that sticky Post-it Notes have made my list making habit so much easier, and neater. Sticky notes are also a great way to make notes in your books without ruining the pages!
5. Paper Clips – This may sound crazy, but I love paper clips. They are useful in so many ways. If it needs to be stuck together, I put a paper clip on it… student homework, tests I need to grade, everything! Who needs a stapler?
6. Copy of To Kill A Mockingbird - This book is my go to. I have always taught To Kill A Mockingbird at the high school level, and I recommend it to younger students, too. Not only is it wonderfully written, but it has so many valuable life lessons in it. It is probably my all-time favorite book.
Ann Bertoldie is a Middle School Communication Arts Teacher at Oakhill Day School. In addition to Comm Arts, Ann also works with the Middle School Broadcasting Club and is helping grow the number of Journalism offerings at Oakhill through electives.
Be sure to share what you keep in your teacher toolkit in the comments below!
So glad that you are part of the amazing Middle School team at Oakhill!! Love your favorite book choice!!📚 Love you!!💕
Choose groups to clone to: